Monday, June 13, 2005

The fat of the land

Have you noticed that people don't call really fat people 'fat'. I guess it's a little like pointing out the obvious. They only call slightly overweight people fat. I mean would someone ever walk up to Adnan Sami or Yokozuna and tell him that he's overweight? They'll probably go over to him and tell him he has an excellent voice or a charming appeal. But someone like me, who's fit but has a little flab around the middle, is suddenly open to criticism.

So, mediocrity is to be despised while the blatantly extreme are to be spared. It's funny isn't it. And this seems to be a trend across cultures. And thought this phenomenon is not contained by geography, it is by age. Children don't give a fuck. They call fat people fat and thin people thin. They are not bound by the laws of decency that we grown ups are.

I've seen people walk up to an exceedingly obese man and compliment him on his figure. And later walk up to me and tell me that I seem to have put on a few pounds.

Don't we, the obviously boderline, have feelings too?

No comments: