Tuesday, June 28, 2005

Though this be madness, there is method in it.

It's amazing how absolutely opposite emotions are closer to each other than you think. Pain isn't that far away from ecstasy. And often light and dark dwell within the same plane.

I chanced upon this revelation under the least likely circumstances. A board room full of jargon spewing, frothing at the mouth MBAs, dissecting the cadaver that was my TV script. A common problem that occurs when the sharp surgical knife of reason is handed over to a bunch of trigger happy MBAs, each trying to prove a point.

The experienced surgeon cuts lightly, and only where required, and often not at all. These dingbats on the other hand, wield the knife with the finesse of a butcher. Slashing away at every exposed inch of skin in sight.

And it was in the midst of this bloodbath that I realized that I was absolutely alone. In a room with 20 men, I was more lonesome than I would have been in a room with 20 empty chairs. Physically, I was in the company of 20 warm blooded beings. But mentally, I might as well have been on the Moon.

It was then that it dawned on me. Opposites only seem opposites. They are in fact more closely related than we think.

For example when you're hungry, you feel the pangs in your stomach. And with the passing of time, it gets worse and worse untill suddenly you aren't hungry at all. At the pinnacle of hunger, rests satiety. And similarly with pain. People often go into a state of ecstasy as soon as the pain becomes unbearable.

And so it is with anger. I remember I would get scolded for doing something wrong, and with the severity of the deed, the extent of punishment would increase. Only to cease, if I did the unthinkable.

Maybe I'm wrong. But you can't fault me for observation. There is method in my madness.

No comments: