Tuesday, June 14, 2005

Road to nowhere

'The thing I love about Bangalore is the names of streets and the towns. I mean I'd rather pick 'St. Marks' road and 'Wheeler road' over Delhi's 'Bheesham Pitamah marg' or 'Baba Khadag Singh marg'. I'd rather pick Frasier Town and Cox Town over 'Sreenivaspuri' or 'Mongolpuri'.

A conversation in Delhi would go something like:

"So Where do you live?"

"Sreenivaspuri"

"Where's that?"

"You know the Okhla Mandi? It's a little down that road."

"You mean Shaheed Captain Gaur Marg?"

"Yup."

"Cool"

And now we come to a conversation in Bnagalore.

"So where do you live?"

"Grace Town"

"Where's that?"

"You know Wheeler road? Take a right off it onto the Frasier town main road.

Ok cool.

Now you decide which one is cooler. Yes I admit that Bangalore too has its anomalies like 'Lingarajapuram' and 'Banaswadi' but what's important is that they have some cool names too.

I like the idea of living in Grace Town, rather than some 'Rabindra Nagar' somewhere.

No comments: