Wednesday, June 07, 2006

Paro and I

Ours is an uncomplicated relationship. Mine and Paro's. When I've been with her, it's always been about just us. Our pasts and futures don't matter. The other people in our individual lives don't matter. We truly live in the moment. Shielded in an invisible cocoon, completely oblivious to the others around us.

I treat her to dinner and she in turn, grants me the privilege of her company. I don't mind. What's a few morsels of food compared to the immense pleasure of her company. And for the moment, she's mine. Completely mine. Brimming over with short-lived but unbridled love. And when the meter in her head clanks, she walks away from me.And I don't grudge her. She of the wayward ways. She of the full belly.

But today all that changed. She met me with her usual enthusiasm. But I had nothing to offer but my company. And that's not much to subsist on, even on a full belly. Not even enough for dessert.

And when the time had come for me to indicate an offer of nourishment. I had kept quiet.

At first she looked baffled. And though, I could see that she had realized that I was skint, her deameanour didn't divulge it. Maybe it was because I had never failed her in the past and she was willing to forgive one lapse in protocol. But soon the novelty had worn off. We sat there like two drinking companions meeting during Lent. She didn't want to leave me and go since I had been good to her. But her time was precious and there was nothing to be gained by sticking around.

And so, when she turned away to go, I still didn't grudge her. She of the scruffy neck. She of the wagging tail.

2 comments:

Karan said...

awesome, a truly fulfilling read...

Anonymous said...

Aw... so la-ve-li.

-Y